Thursday, March 18, 2010

Saiint Patrick and "All Snakes Day"

 Over at the Ocean's Ways Blog I found some interesting info about the Irish Saint Patrick:

..."Most of the druids, and many other pagans, were still around when Patrick died. It took a century or so after his death to finish the conversion process, and it was hardly what you'd call a complete success. This proves he didn't show up with an invading army and cut down all protesters. If he had, I think he'd have been the first Christian martyr of Ireland. They didn't get any blood martyrs there until the Vikings started showing up and poking at monasteries. The conversion process was one of social pressure and legal wrangling to switch power to the churches, not one of swords and bloodshed." ...(Cont.)

And here is a link to the Isaac Bonewits song - Bring Back the Snakes
So drink a shot of some suitable Irish whisky and sing along.

'Twas on a bright Midsummer's evening,

An old woman I chanced for to see.
She grabbed both my shoulders and shook 'em,
Saying, "Bring back the snakes to me!"

Bring back, bring back, bring back the snakes to me, to me;
Bring back, bring back, O bring back the snakes to me!"  ...(Cont.)...

No comments:

Post a Comment